Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel Plays Surprise Show!

          I was all double takes and marveling this morning when I discovered that Neutral Milk Hotel’s enigmatic singer Jeff Mangum played an extremely rare set of ten NMH songs in a Brooklyn loft for 75 people. Not to mention, NMH created The Elephant 6 record label and now all of the artists in the collective are going on a surprise tour. Elephant 6 nurtures an impressive list of artists including Of Montreal, Olivia Tremor Control, and Elf Power. Their huge lineup of 14 musicians will be playing at Denver’s Larimer Lounge on March 12. I have a hunch that Jeff Mangum will be performing at a couple of these shows. I am interested to see what direction he’s headed since he is too often hailed with demi-god status. Could he really top 1998’s “In An Aeroplane Over The Sea”? After all, he is now 40 years old and became a recluse after this album was greeted with overwhelming critical reception. I found a bootleg of his performance which you can get to by clicking here. It’s not the best quality, but I’m not complaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment